Community College Path
Reminder - review steps top to bottom and skip any step that you already have completed or already know that info. We encourage you to completely review the info under each step to insure you are aware of resources and have considered the info prior to moving to the next step.
1. Review the "Your Guide to College Readiness" that will be handing out in the classroom. Find your College Readiness Status for both English and Math.
- Your CAASSP scores where mailed out in the past few weeks. You can also find your scores/status by going to http://www.csusuccess.org/eap_results If you have already create a CSU Mentor Account for completing CSU applications, then please enter your CSUMentor username and password. If not, then create a new account - and use this username and password when you start your CSU applications if you are applying also to CSU's. Follow the steps to find your results/status.
- Using your CAASSP scores, SAT/ACT Test scores, AP scores, and senior courses - refer to booklet and weblink above to identify your current college readiness status for English and Math. Will you have to take English/Math Placement tests for your community college?
2. Identify Career/Major you plan to pursue. If you know your career/major goals then move onto next step. If you are undecided/unsure on career/major plan - please complete at least one of the career exploration options below before moving onto next step.
- Undecided on Career/Major Option 1 - Complete Naviance Career Interest Inventory. Login into Naviance - select the "About Me" tab and then scroll down and click on "Career Interest Profiler" and complete the questions on this assessment.
- Then when done with the questions and the results show - click in middle center of page - "View Matching Occupation List" - and review results and use sheet below to help identify next goal.
- Naviance Career Interest Profiler Worksheet . Print sheet or just follow directions and use your own paper to complete questions to keep your information and better remember your information.
- Career/Major Option 2 - O'Net Career Profiler - Go to http://www.mynextmove.org/explore/ip - and follow O'Net Activity Sheet to complete the research and reflection activities.
- Career/Major Option 3 - ASVAB Fall 2015 Results and Processing on the GOHS ASVAB Page - You were given copies of your ASVAB Summary Sheet with Access Code to their website for exploring careers based on your results. If you can not find your copy from the sheets then stop into the Counseling Office to request a copy of your results. Use the following links to help guide you in exploring careers with your ASVAB results.
- GOHS Counseling ASVAB CEP Page, ASVAB Summary Results Sheet - Access Code is on lower right of your sheet. If you completed both the 3 hour ASVAB Aptitude Exam last year and the Score Interpretation Workshop in the PAC with chrome books, then you should have results saved in their website. Go to the http://www.asvabprogram.com/# site and enter your access code. Then work through their site to complete the Exploring Careers Worksheet and the My Educational and Career Plan Worksheet - either print or use your own paper the write your answers and reflections down to save and review.
- ASVAB Tutorials to help guide you if you have any problems following info above.
3. Identify Community College you will apply to, review information about your college, and review transfer planning info if you are planning to transfer to universities from community college.
- Review GOHS Counseling Community College Page. You generally will apply in Spring semester - February through April for most community colleges. If you try to start applications now most will think that you are trying to register for next semester.
- If planning to apply to CA Community Colleges (CCC) - CCC Search by area, name, or major/program. What community colleges have the major/program that you are interested in?
- If planning to apply to local community college - Review their websites to find the following information - 1. Types of majors/programs, 2. What is their application process, 3. What assessment tests do they require (if you are not College Ready in English and Math - see #1 at top of page). 4. Using virtual tours on their sites or internet searches - what do their campuses look like - most have a main campus and other satelite campuses - what do the different campuses look like for your CCC. Local CCC's - Mt. San Jacinto - MSJC , Palomar , Riverside City College - RCC .
- Click Here for a site that has the majors/programs by community college and general transfer plan guides for CSU and UC system.
- Input the community college/s that you are going to apply to into Naviance . Log Into Naviance - follow directions at the top to log in. On the home page - either select "Colleges that I am Applying To" link under Home tab in the top left OR select the College tab and in the top box My Colleges. Then select add to my list and put in college name and click on right campus and save.
- Planning to get your Associate Degree and Transfer to CSU or UC Campus? Then you can use Assist.org to help you plan on taking the right courses at a specific community college that will transfer to a specific UC or CSU campus for a specific major. Click Here for a guide on how to use Assist.org to see what courses to take at your community college for the CSU or UC campuses your are interested in for your major.
- Planning to transfer to CSU - Review Guarantee Transfer to CSU , In addition to Assist.org the Associate Degree for Transfer site can help you see what community colleges have majors to transfer to specific CSU campuses.
- Planning to transfer to UC - Review UC Transfer Planner, Review Transfer Admission Guarantee - TAG - information on certain UC campuses. General Pathways to Transferring to UC Campuses.
- Applying to Community Colleges outside of California - use Naviance SuperMatch - Follow These Steps to log into Naviance and Find the SuperMatch link. When you are on college tab page go to second box - College Research - and first link under that is SuperMatch. Select options and under type of school select 2 year college and hit search and explore results. You can reset and redo as needed. Add colleges that you are interested in to the "Colleges that I am Applying To" area. You can also use BigFuture College Search to compare your results with your Naviance search. Please add any colleges your are interested into the "Colleges that I am Applying To" in Naviance.
4. Research and start Scholarship Applications.
- Visit GOHS Financial Aid/Scholarship Page
- Review the Local/National Scholarship List under Scholarship heading on that page that Mrs. Shilts has created to identify any scholarship that you may want to apply to on that list and start scholarship applications.
- If you want to pursue local scholarships - complete the Temecula Dollars for Scholars Scholarship Application. Click on Temecula Dollars for scholars under scholarship title. Review information on their site and scroll to bottom and click on starting application. Review National Dollars for Scholars info and scroll to very bottom to start application. You can start it now, yet will need to finalize in January and submit with the required information at that time. By starting now - you are can be in running for some national Dollars for Scholars Scholarships and IF you select to connect to FASTWEB.COM you can be connected to their huge national scholarship database and find scholarships that match your criteria.
- Complete FASTWEB.COM - is one of the best national scholarship search sites. Link is under scholarship title on our page as well. You can complete directly on their site and/or you can do the Dollars for Scholars and okay to link to fastweb.com in their application to combine.
- Research Financial Aid Department websites of the colleges you are applying to for their scholarship opportunities.
5. If planning on applying for scholarships that require letters of recommendation - Then review information below and complete your Letter of Recommendation Packet.
- Please review GOHS Counseling Letter of Recommendation Page for Protocol/Packet, information, and important deadline.
- Give completed Letter of Rec Protocol packet to teacher, counselor, or staff member a minimum of 2 weeks - counting school days only - not weekend or holiday days - prior to the deadline. Please plan to give them more advance time to help them be able to write a better letter.
- Mr. Shepherd prefers an electronic copy of the Letter of Rec Protocol if possible - email to email@example.com. Yet, you can give hard copy if electronic copy isn't possible.